djlen
Green Thumb

Can Someone ID this Tree From These Leaves/Seeds?

DSCF4382.JPG
I have several of these trees in my neighborhood. They are used mostly as street trees and are
relatively short and compact.
The leaves are only about 3/4" long and look alot like Elm leaves only with pointed tops. The attached brown pods
contain the seeds. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Attachments
DSCF4383.JPG

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Look over the elm family. See also zelkova.

applestar
Mod

If those pods have 3 lobes/wings, they might be Halesia/Carolina Silverbells. Recently -- within the last 5 years or so, City of Trenton planted Silverbells all over as part of native plant street tree project. If so they have dainty hanging white blossoms in spring-early summer.

djlen
Green Thumb

tomc wrote:Look over the elm family. See also zelkova.
Not Zelkova. I've got close to 50 of them. I've also got many varieties of Elm and though they look so close to Ulmus I've not
found any Elms anywhere that match. Not saying there isn't one. Just that I've not found one.

djlen
Green Thumb

Applestar, I thought we had a match with the Silverbells until I came across a picture of their seed pods:
8163_A440-0628056cs.jpg
Not even close to what I found on the trees I got the above cuttings from. Also, I've not seen any of the trees
here anywhere near the size described of the Silverbells.
Any other guesses?

djlen
Green Thumb

BTW, I've got a bunch set for Wintering over in cups in the cold frame. Hopefully we'll get a few to sprout in the Spring.

Also, I'm gonna post a thread in the Bonsai forum. Could be someone over there is familiar with this tree.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”