Andy H
Newly Registered

What soil should I use for potted Thuja's?

I have a couple hundred that I just rooted but I also have about 100 larger ones that I've gotten from the botany shop. Plant to put some of these in the ground but also keep a lot of them in pots till they get even bigger

This is exactly what I did last year and for some reason the ones in the pot grew a lot faster. I just used regular potting soil last year because I only kept a few in pots but this year I'm going to have to pot at least 50 1 gallon sized trees and about 20 that will be a lot bigger than that. I'd like to make my own mixture to save money

And I also have a large compost pile and the compost should be all ready in the spring ( I live in upstate NY)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

The plants in the pot probably grew faster because you concentrated on watering them, besides the sun hitting on the containers. Compost with a mix of sand gotten at the local big box store. I presume you are using them as a hedge and FYI they are succeptible to winter kill if we have a dry winter so plan on watering them once they are inground. Good Luck!

https://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”