Jbitter

Japanese maple - White around leaves & hot summer

I have a Japanese maple about 3 years old. Leaves are white around edges and I think this is wind burn. Has been a hot summer. Live in Ohio. Anything else I should be worried about?
Thanks in advance!
JB
Attachments
IMG_0169.JPG

tomc
Super Green Thumb

You JM is a lace-leaf. On a bitter Ohioan winter I might make a collar and fill it with straw. To cut down on wind-burn.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The JM I had at my old house always looked pretty much like that by the end of the season: sun, wind, aging leaves. I wouldn't worry about it. It is going to lose those leaves soon any way. The new spring leaves will be beautiful again. Tom is talking about winter protection for your tree. Depends on the variety of JM you have and where you are in Ohio (Cincinnati has a quite different climate from Cleveland), how important this is.

applestar
Mod

Around here, the earliest trees to drop leaves in the fall are starting so those leaves might be starting to think about it, too. If you look carefully, you might also still see some Japanese beetles and especially Stinkbugs bothering the leaves, though they are usually not serious pests.

Japanese Maples look best when they get plenty of rain in the late summer through fall -- hurricanes and such -- then get hit with a sudden light frost for a gorgeous fall color. Otherwise, they can get raggedy -- especially when there is extended drought and hot weather. They are pretty persistent and can withstand quite a bit of drought, but when they've had enough they just let go.

Just make sure it gets plenty of water before the ground freezes -- usually the fall rains and late fall/early winter storms will take care of that -- and it will be fine.

Jbitter

Thank you for all the replies, very helpful!
JB

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”