horse&garden

Help with possibly moving this tree and adjoining vine...

I'm hoping to be able to move this Crepe Myrtle and also the Muscadine vine that is growing with it. What and when would be the best time to do so? I'm not worried about the wall as it will soon be removed and replaced. Do I just dig and transplant both where I want them to be? Any hints or tips are greatly appreciated!

[img][img]https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/mithrilmaid/garden%20photos/DSC07630.jpg[/img][/img]

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I have no clue where middle earth is, but knock down the wall first before trying to transplant anything. Are you certain it isn't wild grape? If it is you'll have a problem getting rid of it. Before you start digging prune back the plant you want to save and transplant before the buds break. Don't try to cut corners digging up the crape myrtle or you will lose it. Generally speaking start digging out around the farthest branches, since crape's spread far and wide. Prune the roots that stick out around the ball. Do not let the soil junk out or fall off the roots. Make certain that when you rtransplant that you use cow manure and a couple hand fulls of bone meal spread around the roots and water. Make certain that you tamp down the soil around the ball, the end of your shovel, after water to get all the air pockets out. you may want to construct a saucer with the extra soil around the plant then water again. DO NOT plant the crown of the plant any lower or higher then it was before you dug it up. If you want to learn how to propagate perennials go to https://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com and good luck!

horse&garden

Great thanks so much bullthistle!

Middle Earth is my imaginary kingdom...lol. Big Lord of the Rings fan. :) I'm in Rutherford Co. North Carolina.

I'm fairly sure that the vine is muscadine and I hope to save it. I loved those things as a kid and would enjoy having my own vine. :)

Thanks for the link, I'll have a bit of reading tonight when I get home.

Oh will horse manure work instead of cow? Its well composted. I have plenty too! :)

Thanks again! :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Just make certain it is aged and to test that pick it up in your bare hands. The reason why I asked if it is a true grape is that I have a lot in Franklin County and the wild grape took it over before man showed up. Chances are the grape will come out bare root so soak it in water and trim it back severly.

horse&garden

ah ok. thanks again.

So when I dig it out its ok to not have dirt around it? But definitely keep dirt around the crepe myrtle?
And trimming the vine back, like a few inches above the root stock? I have the picture in mind as if I were purchasing one from the store, is that the idea?

Thank you so much! You've been very helpful! :P

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If you can keep the soil, not dirt, around the crape the more the merrier. Just like you'd buy the grape at a nursery but keep some buds and keep some of the feeder roots coming off the main root. You should be fine. For pruning the crape? Prune all the branches off that point inward, prune the weakest of the double branches that point outward and do not forget to water both plants and get some bone meal.

horse&garden

Again, Thank You! I plan to move these this week so I'll post again and let you know how it goes! :D

horse&garden

Well, I finally got around to digging out the trees and vine. Once I removed the rock wall I found that the larger of the bushes was very big at the base and incredibly twisted. We decided to just scrap it. The other two are in good condition and seem to be doing well so far. The vine also was salvaged and hopefully will grow well in its new home. :)

Thanks again for the advice!!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You must have wanted out ASAP. It was cold this weekend. Transplanting isn't for the faint of heart because you have no clue what you will be getting into until you start digging down. Glad it almost worked out.

https://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com

horse&garden

Hee hee... it was lovely here. 50 yesterday and 60 today! Compared to what its been, its almost Tshirt weather! :D
I've been busy! Today I replanted 4 leyland cypress that my barn owner took out of her yard! I really hope they do okay as they will hopefully help screen the view of the dilapidated house next to us. :roll: *cross fingers*

Can't wait to get started on my veggie garden now! Just need to be sure we're done with the frosties.

Thanks again! See you on the boards!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Make certain you water the Leyland at least twice a week. So you are becoming an expert transplanted, are you?

horse&garden

Hehehe, yeah it kind of looks that way! I moved some Iris' this weekend too. I'm not sure if the timing is right for them but they were going to be killed where they were. I hate killing plants so I thought I'd move them and give them the chance!

Yep, we soaked the trees pretty good after planting and made sure to really re-fill the hole and avoid air pockets.

Now if only we'd get past the really cold nights and I could start my veggies..... :roll:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”