Lavalampy
Newly Registered

Plant ID- Eucalyptus?

plant1.jpg
plant1.jpg
Hello! I live in Piedmont area of NC (zone 7). I'm responsible for doing flowers for a friend's wedding in the first week of November. I found these growing on the side of my new house and took the photo today, on Sept 15. Is this seeded eucalyptus? It looks fairly like photos online but with different leaves.. what are the odds I can keep this tree alive until November to use clippings in the flowers, even perhaps if it means transporting clippings inside at some point? Would love to bring plants from home instead of buying them! Thank you for the help.
Attachments
plant2.jpg

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Does it smell like eucalyptus? If not it probably isn't.

I know florists can keep branches, cuttings, and flowers fresh by keeping them in water and damp paper towels in refrigerators but I don't know if they can be kept for 2 months.

You could try drying them, pack the cuttings in borax for a couple weeks or set the cut ends in a glycerin solution. This site tells how to use the glycerin:
https://www.wikihow.com/Preserve-Boxwood-Cuttings

I've not done the glycerin. My mom did the borax drying when I was a kid. The borax drying works well for straw flowers and stuff like that. But the resulting plant is very brittle and faded.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Doesn't look like eucalyptus, plus that is rare to seed and winter there. Cherry laurel perhaps?

may91
Newly Registered

hello dose any one have pictures of what a eucalyptus looks like I planted seeds but I don't now what they look like I also planted some out side that I might think are weeds when they first come up.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I don't have a picture of eucalyptus (and there are many kinds), but the original pic in this thread was of chinese privet.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”