BU54
Cool Member

Maple Tree Advice?

My nice maple tree in the back yard has these black spots on the leafs. Some of the leafs are prematurely falling off the tree.
Is this some kind of disease? Will it kill the tree? Is there a cure?
I should add it's been an unusually humid summer.
Help?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, it is probably some kind of disease. And yes unusually humid conditions are very conducive to fungal diseases.

But in the ordinary course of things it would be losing those leaves soon anyway. So the tree should be fine and the new leaves next year should be fine. I would just be sure to rake up all those leaves and trash them (not in the compost pile; they could be burned and the ashes in the compost) to help keep the fungal disease from staying in the soil.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Maple tar spot. Yes, a fungal disease. Not the cause of the leaf drop, that normally occurs this time of year anyway. There is no cure, only a small measure of prevention available. Rake and destroy the fallen leaves, that reduces the fungal spores for next year.

BU54
Cool Member

OK thanks.
I forgot to add I have one more maple tree in the back yard and my neighbors on either side of me have maple trees and they're ok.
Just my luck.

OK I just read about it here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhytisma_acerinum

Next question is I usually roto till 10"-12" of leafs into the garden every fall. This gives me natural compost and helps me get rid of some of the leafs.
Should I skip this year? or the tar spot will not affect garden plants?
The article said the best way to control tar spot is(like butterflylady said)to clean up the yard/leafs and get rid of them.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

From what I read it affects only maples and related trees. And if the neighbors have trees then there's no getting away from it. It doesn't really harm the tree, just looks bad. Put the leaves in the garden and till away. Supposedly burying the leaves works to reduce the fungus. The big problem is the leaves left laying around the tree.

BU54
Cool Member

Sounds good, just what I was hoping to hear. I always clean the yard good before winter. It helps a lot when spring finally comes for the grass to grow nice. Plus it's a muddy mess when the ground thaws if I have to clean the leafs then.
Thanks!!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”