FROCKEY
Newly Registered

Trumpet Vines

Hello - I, too, am new to this forum (in fact, any forum) so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

I have 3 trumpet vine plants that are about 4 years old. They have grown up a 6-foot fence and spred out beautifully. They are in full sun during the mornings but, since they are on the side of the house, get shade from about noon on. Last summer I got lush beautiful blossoms and was looking forward to even more this year. By the way, I live in La Quinta California (Coachella Valley - desert area by Palm Springs).

About 3 weeks ago I started noticing leaves drying up and turning brown. Now the lengthy branches that have trailed - in some instances almost 20 feet - are dying completely. I have completely cut back the growth and hope that it will re-generate itself.

Has anyone ever experienced this before and can you tell me if I did the right thing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

There are a few plants called Trumpet Vine out there. Would you please post a few good clear photos of your plants or what would be even better would be sharing the names of the plants (both the common name and the scientific name) from the tags that came with them.

What you described may very well be normal depending on which Trumpet Vine you have.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Has the soil been dry lately? Or have you had a dry spell? Also, have you been fertilizing the vine lately. You might have burned your plant or it may be nutrient deficient.

bewildered_nmsu

Over-watering is a possibility as well, especially if the plant is in shade for most of the day. Water requirements are typically low at this time of year. Check the soil around the base of the plants to a depth of 2-3 inches. If it's soggy that's your problem.

What you are describing actually happened to a wisteria I own due to over-watering.

FROCKEY
Newly Registered

Thanks to all who answered my plea. Thank you especially Las Cruces New Mexico - I think you hit the nail on the head. I will check the soil tonght (I am an accountant in tax season) but I have a feeling that's the answer.

Many thanks again!

:D

bewildered_nmsu

My pleasure. Glad I could help.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks bewildered, sounds to me like you're not bewildered at all. Feel free to add any advice you have to any of the threads. We're happy to have you hear! :)

bewildered_nmsu

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I like this forum a lot.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well you are more than welcome here and we appreciate everything and anything that you would like to add.

Lorax, your knowledge is most welcome as well and thank you for your additions to the forums.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

The person who doesn't even know how to grow a tomato properly or make compost tea thanks you for your kind words.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

No no Lorax, you have knowledge that runs as deep as my trench composts, I've been reading your posts. Wonderful, I just learned about compost tea (well, the correct way to brew it ) a few years ago. And I learned the best way to care for and grow tomatoes from the proprietor of Victoria Seeds when she ran her organic nursery.

We think it's great that you are here and welcome everything that you wish to add.

Opabinia

ps

I started out here adding all my knowledge (and I've learned a lot from others here at the HG and from my peer groups and research over the years) as well.

After having a lengthy discussion and debate with the original Helpful Gardener; Scott Reill I changed my mind on tilling and many other concepts as well.

The more we converse, the more we can learn from one another.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

You should consider starting a tomato compost tea "how to" thread for all of us vegetable challenged gardeners out there.

I'm not a proponent of tilling. I believe tilling does an incredible amount of damage. It's one of those deals where I think we've collectively been sold a bill of goods on tilling our soil but what do I know. Probably another good new thread to start.

Although what I post does come from having some (emphasis on some because most of what is taught won't be applied) formal education in the sciences, there is no substitute for the hands on experience gained working under a land steward in a natural area then applying what one has learned to one's own property. One can attend oodles of classes, oodles of workshops, and oodles of symposiums but unless one actually takes the next logical step by working with what one has learned; it's all stuck up in one's head being wasted. The land steward, like the field ecologist and the wildlife biologist, is a doer. The more one gets out there and does, the more one learns. Most unfortunately, the more one learns... the more one learns they don't know. Ironic, isn't it.

As far as the trumpet vine (which ever one you have), if its root system has truly failed due to over watering (and I don't know that it has or hasn't) there is a last ditcher out there that I have used successfully when plants have been flooded out from rain for extended periods of time. FROCKEY, you may want to hold off watering the plant for a bit. Let it completely dry out. Then when you do water the plant next, water it really good and deep. When finished watering, let it soak for about an hour then come back and try adding two bottles (pint size) of hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water and pour that around the base of the tree. A bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide is under a dollar at KMart and it can oxygenate one's soil which generally increases nutrient uptake. See, most people realize carbon dioxide is important to plants but most don't realize that oxygen availability to the roots is vital to nutrient uptake. It's those roots that need to be able to receive oxygen or a plant is history. Waiting until a plant absolutely positively needs water before watering is always best as it allows water from the last watering to drain completely which then pulls oxygen down through the top of the soil. I realize this process sort of defies logic but it has helped me save some plants that had failed root systems due to extensive flooding in my area. Please know that sometimes there is simply no way to reverse the damages of a failed root system so try hard not to dwell on it if you can't save the plant.

bewildered_nmsu

That's really interesting about the hydrogen peroxide. I've never heard of that remedy before. I'll have to try that experimentally on something.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I'm using it right now on quite a few orchids that were waaaaaaaaay over-watered by the person caring for my plants while I was gone for about 3 weeks. Came home and found many of them sitting or all but floating in water. Gasp. Very few of my orchids like wet feet with the exception of a few phrags I have. Think I darn near cried when I came home and saw orchid after orchid after orchid sitting in at least an inch of water. Same deal with most of my other plants. I came home to them all but rotting their little brains out from sitting in water for several weeks straight. And, the doors to where I grow my plants were left open so all of my cats rushed into forbidden areas to graze on greens which they barfed up all over my house in hard to reach places.

bewildered_nmsu

Using that remedy on orchids sounds very useful. I will definitely employ this new found (for me) remedy for that purpose. I've over watered many a Phalaenopsis in my time.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”