Gardener123
Green Thumb

Opinions / Info on Dawn Redwood trees?

I am looking to get 1 or 2 of these to plant in a few weeks. Spring Hill ships them in 4" pots, so I imagine the trees will be very small. They also say that they grow 3 - 4 feet per year. Assuming the tree is 6" tall when shipped, can I really expect a 3' to 4' tree in 2017?

I know that fall is the perfect time to plant, but I am also worried about the winter for such a small tree.

Thoughts?

Zone 7 ( right near Philadelphia )

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

No. The trees will spend a lot of energy growing roots the first year. Maybe not much top growth the second year either. But after that they should grow quickly.

It's that way with nearly all woody plants. Roots first then tops. Transplanting damages the roots and they take a season or two to recover. Smaller plants will adapt faster than larger plants.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Thank you!

My mind was changed o n buying small plants when I locally found a 10' tree for $179.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

OUCH! Yes, large trees are pricey, and they require very large planting holes.

The only problem with fall planting is frost heave. In the late winter when the soil goes through the freeze/thaw cycle the plants can be pushed up out of the soil. Mulch your new trees root zones after the ground freezes and check them every few days in the late winter/early spring just to make sure they stay in the soil.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”