Allyn
Green Thumb

Moving a Willow

I found a young willow tree about 5 feet tall in the hedgerow along the edge of the property. It's growing sideways trying to get some sun. I want to move it about 15 feet to a spot where it won't have to compete with taller trees for sun. I've never messed with a tree this big and I want to know what I need to do to make this a successful move. How wide and deep do I need to dig the roots; how best to prepare the hole. . . . .you know, stuff like that. I've been saying for a long time that I want a willow tree -- Black Willows are native -- and here I have one handed to me. :) I don't want to mess it up.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

You can start to cut some of the roots. But you will want to water it, and then let it rest four weeks. Cut some more the next month, water and rest.

October-November you can finish cutting a root ball About the size of a trash-can lid. Dig its new hole and move it, while dormant.

Normally this whole process would get done only while dormant, but your digging a willow. And it is more forgiving.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Good info, thank you! Now, when you say start to cut the roots and then cut them some more, you mean start carving the root ball out, maybe go down the length of the shovel blade all the way around and then in four weeks, go around a little deeper? The area it is in stays pretty moist all the time (I have crawfish that take up residence there). If it is muddy, should I still water it? I don't want to be a n00b, but I just don't know much about trees.

The rose bushes that were here last year didn't go dormant until the middle of January. Is that about the time I should move it? In October/November, I'm usually still working a full garden. I don't start thinking about frost until after Thanksgiving.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I might worry less about watering a willow in a swale like you describe. But yes as you outline shovel work. Transplant when its your dormant and not mine.

Right now on Ohioan clay, I'm still watering as fast as it will come out the pipe.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”