Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Dappled Willow cutting

I planted ten well rooted dappled Willow cuttings a month ago. Before planting I removed any new buds that formed while rooting them. Am I asking too much...they haven't grown a bud since going in the ground. I know they are alive as I scraped one lightly and it was a healthy looking color underneath.

Should I start to see some budding? Only one month has passed. Is it possible it won't show any signs of growth until months pass, or maybe even til spring of 2017? I can be patient, I would just like to have a better understanding of what to expect. I water them heavily daily, they are in a shade to part shade location in good soil. I can't find answers googling it.

Please take a moment to teach me. Thanks!
Rose

Mr_bobo_

Hey Rose,
If cuttings of Willow look healthy all what you need to do is keep the moist and have patience.
They are easy to grow from cuttings.

For example I put cuttings in soil in October, November and they are alive all winter outside. (climate is similar as Pennsylvania)
Lot of them start to grow in spring - April.

You give them better conditions so, bit shade and moist place should work out for you ;)

KeyWee

I have a HUGE dappled willow and take cuttings ALL the time. Consequently, I have several smaller plants and have given many cuttings out to friends and neighbors, all with easy success. My question is why did you remove the buds from the well-rooted cuttings? I have never done this and I don't see the purpose. All of my cuttings leaf out within a week or two of planting, but then I do not remove the buds.
That being said, if the stems are green and supple, they should still be viable.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Sigh KeeWee. I guess I can't trust You Tube videos for advice? The video said to cut the rooted cutting at the lowest bud so it will branch out there. It said it will just grow straight up with no branching if you don't clip it there. So I have well rooted bare sticks in the ground.

Wondering if I pop a few more in the ground next to the month old ones there. I have really nice rooted and budded cuttings ready to go for some friends and I did extra so they can get the best cuttings. I planted them at a rather close distance from each other...every 6 ft, 10 cuttings total. I should put a few more in the ground with plenty of buds and see how each does, budded and not budded.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Mr_Bobo_, thanks for your reply! I will use patience. I am just eager to know it worked. I imagine if they aren't dead, they will grow. I just want to see one bud...just one little bud to tell me they will grow.

Did I do the wrong thing by cutting the buds off, as a You Tube video told me to do? Maybe I should plant new ones with their BUDS and roots?

KeyWee

Ahhhh ~ NOW I see what we did differently ~ thanks for the clarification. Instead of removing the buds to encourage branching, I always place 3-5 cuttings in one hole. This gives you that multiple-trunk look without having to cut off the buds. I should have been more clear about how I do it. Maybe since I have been doing this for SO long, I forgot the basics ~ sorry, that's on me :oops:

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

I like your way of doing things KeyWee. I have a Willow that was planted in full shade and it just doesn't want to grow like the others. It is sorta hidden where it is so I have dedicated that one for cuttings. Nice and strong. I put more cuttings in water and left some buds on. I will let them root and I will add one more to each of the ten cuttings planted. I am looking for a good thick hedge out of these ten.

KeyWee

Thanks, Kitty! It's just that I have been doing this forever, seeing as these plants can cost up to $30 here at a garden center, it seems crazy to me to pay that much when you can create your own for yourself and friends. I just cut a bunch of branches off of one of my willows as it is getting so huge, and I thought what the heck, I'll stick them in water. It has been my experience that the later in the year it gets, the harder it is for the branches to root, so we'll see. They root very easily in spring when the sap is cookin'. What you said about sun vs. shade may not be the factor. With willows, it is almost always a water issue. They love a wet spot, and will grow very fast if they stay wet. I will let you know if my "late season" cuttings do anything.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

KeeWee....

I had my doubts about the Willow cutting I put in a pot two months ago. It was well rooted, but no buds when planted, as I was advised to remove the buds so the cutting continued strengthening its roots once in the ground. I planted ten more cuttings, well rooted in my yard, and cut the buds that sprouted while it was rooting in the water. You asked about why I removed the buds.

So...this morning I took the cutting out of the pot and the roots were gone. Even though the cutting was alive, having scratched the bark and saw green inside the branch, I had to know.

I had new cuttings ready to go with roots as well as buds, and popped one in a pot with miracle grow soil. Hoping to see different results with the new cutting since I left the buds on. I also took a 6 week old cutting from the ground in my yard, and again, so signs of roots. So I will replace the original 10 cuttings, that were rooted, (but I removed the buds) and will keep the buds on this time.

Hoping your way gives better results. The area in the yard that I put the cuttings is well prepped soil, as I had gardens in those areas. I water everyday, a good deep watering, to keep them wet.

If I am missing anything, please let me know. Should I add fertilizer? I read they don't need it, as they make their own. Am I reading too much? LOL. I took the buds off the first batch because I read online that you want the cutting to use all its strength to establish a good rooting in the ground, so take the buds off so it concentrates solely on the roots. Well that didn't seem to work, as the roots never did establish itself anyway.

Any advice, words of wisdom? Am I the only person who managed to mess up a simple cutting? Seems you can't mess it up, but I did.

Just curious if leaving the buds on is what you did and you got results in doing so. Worse comes to worse, next spring I will just buy new willows, already potted and grown. I just wanted to try this one more time, your way.

Thanks
Rose

KeyWee

Kitty ~ I think you hit the nail on the head ....... you may be over-thinking a process that is really so simple. But that is not your fault. I have found that listening to other gardeners has helped me out a LOT more than anything I may read online. Not that searching for info doesn't have its merits, but well ~ you know, grain of salt and stuff.
I have never added fertilizer to any of my willows (I also have curly as well as the dappled). So I don't find that a necessary step.
Update on the cuttings I took last week (way later than I normally do) ~ they are rooting already! A couple more weeks in water and in the ground they go. I want them to have at least a little time to establish before winter ~ will probably mulch just this once.
Like I mentioned before, I have never removed the buds, but I can understand the thinking behind it. Maybe for more northern zones where a good root system is necessary to beat the tough winters?
Oh, and please do NOT buy any willows in the spring if you don't have success with your current cuttings. I can send you a whole tube of spring cuttings and those should go gang-busters for you. Just stay in touch and we will get you going!!

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

I have 6 willows that I bought in May. One was put in the shade and is not growing like the others, plus it is out of the way, so I am using it for cuttings. Great cuttings coming from it. I have several in water and once they root I will replace the ten cuttings I put in the yard. I actually see people selling cuttings on EBay. Thanks for the offer, and for now I will surely just seek your advice when needed. I am also trying to get them happy and settled in the ground before winter.

Thanks for your help. Always appreciated.
Rose

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

KeeWee, planting well rooted cuttings WITHOUT removing the buds is working. More than anything, it is helping me to know they are still alive. Lost only two out of 8. I give them probably over a gallon of water a day. Keep watering til the water puddles and won't go down...doing that twice a day. They look like little trees. Thanks for your input!

KeyWee

Oh, I am SO very glad. The late cuttings I took are ready too and I am going to plant them out today. Excited to see if babies planted this late in the season will brave the winter. I plan to mulch mine just to give them that little extra boost. So glad you are having success ~ thanks for letting me know!

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

KeeWee.....

When I just found out about planting cuttings, all articles were specific saying plant them by Oct/Nov. I felt that was late in the season. I wanted them to have a couple of months to settle their roots in the ground, while the weather was still seasonable for growth. Sept is the time to plant some perennials, therefore I am going to assume that planting live rooted cuttings in Aug will give them plenty of time to establish those roots before winter. I am hoping that means they are good to go and will show up in the spring. I felt planting them any later than Sept...into Oct, is pushing it a bit late. May we both have luck and see them in Spring.

I will need a hired hand to shut the garden down for the winter and a fall cleanup...ill have him mulch the willows in the yard now as well. You are being very helpful KeeWee. Thank you.

KeyWee

I agree with you about getting them planted a little earlier than the instructions say. They probably say not to plant in late summer because it is normally very dry and most folks wouldn't be as vigilant about watering as you have been. I am hoping this makes a difference ~ that and the mulch for that little extra bit of root protection in case we get unusually cold. We will have to keep an eye on our little experiment and compare notes!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”