jfolger
Newly Registered

Is this tree on borrowed time?

Howdy folks - I live in Kansas, this tree is a Blaze Maple, or Autumn Maple, something like that (I think? :D ).

We bought this house new in 2009, the landscaping was installed in 2007, so this tree is about 9 years old. As you can see from the image, the center of the trunk is receding deeper and deeper. I'd imagine if you cut the tree in half there, you'd have a perfect 'C'. It's really hollowed out. It's also got about a 15 degree lean.
IMG_3103.jpg
IMG_3101.jpg
It's in great shape otherwise, and mature, as far as new home construction goes. I can't help but feel, though, that it's just a matter of time until this tree gets so bad it will need to be cut down. I wonder if I'm better off removing it now, and replanting.

Any thoughts?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

In my completely non-arborist opinion, rouge it out. As the tree grows taller and larger, which I am not sure it will, it will be a hazard. Another maple in the vicinity would soon catch up because it will be healthier overall.

jfolger
Newly Registered

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the reply. I tend to agree.

Mr_bobo_

I would not be worry about that issue.
Three looks good, bark is healthy because callus tissue is strong and almost covered damaged space.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”