pinksand
Greener Thumb

Serviceberry Spiny Growths

My baby serviceberry tree has developed strange spiny growths on on the stems. They seem to be all over the tree. Can anyone identify what might be going on?

applestar
Mod

Ugh yeah -- those are cedar-apple rust fungal growths. These nodules will produce spores so you want to tackle them right away. I have a juneberry bush that has been infected and producing spores -- orange powder all over the leaves. I have to go out and take care of that but am reluctant to leave my comfy couch.... :>

Do you have a juniper or cedar tree nearby?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

How close is "nearby"? I do have junipers in the yard and I think my neighbor might have a cedar. Both are probably about... 25-50ft away.

Thank you for identifying the issue! I'll research dealing with cedar-apple rust fungal growths. Do you have any suggestions from your personal experience?

I'm so sad because my other serviceberry was devoured by moth caterpillars last year and is starting over now from the ground. I was so happy this little guy was really growing and looking healthy. So far I just haven't had great luck with them :(

EDIT: Did some research... first of all ew, I don't want orange aliens all over my baby serviceberry. Second of all, it sounds like my best bet is pruning off all infected wood :shock: Poor baby!

I also realized that a serviceberry tree I always admired outside of my old office building was definitely affected by this as well. I always wondered why the berries were covered in nasty orange spines.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”