Stephen111725

Apple Tree turning red

So I planted my tree outside in a huge pot and a few days after the leaves start turning red and the top that was green and producing more leaves is now woody

Before
20160514_161403.jpeg
After
20160608_182705.jpeg
I also had to tie it up with some rope because it floped over and couldn't stand itself up also the soil seems to dry out really fast and by the time I come home in the afternoon it is completely dry

applestar
Mod

Let's have more details :D

What kind of tree is it -- looks a bit like cherry?

Where did it come from before you planted it. Was it shipped to you? When you planted it and put it outside, did you harden it off -- gradually allowed it to get used to direct sun by putting it in the shade for a couple of days and increasing sun exposure?

When you water, do you put water in from the top of the soil and keep adding until it comes out from the drainage holes?

Stephen111725

applestar wrote:Let's have more details :D

What kind of tree is it -- looks a bit like cherry?

Where did it come from before you planted it. Was it shipped to you? When you planted it and put it outside, did you harden it off -- gradually allowed it to get used to direct sun by putting it in the shade for a couple of days and increasing sun exposure?

When you water, do you put water in from the top of the soil and keep adding until it comes out from the drainage holes?
It's an apple tree that I grew from a seed and I didn't harden off also I water it until the soil is almost mud but still from the holes also when I planted it the roots weren't very large in comparison to the right

tomc
Super Green Thumb

That red-ish leaves are symptomatic of low oxygen level in soil. trees in pots grow best with very coarse soil that hold a lot of air.

For me that is one part gran-I-grit chicken scratch and one part pine bark mulch.

Potting soil, garden, soil holds too much water for trees.

For now I would poke many holes into soil (to airate it) with a chop-stick. Next spring replace soil (it is too late to do this now).

Stake your sapling and loosely lash it to stake.

Berm it into garden in fall, it needs to sleep out of doors in the winter.

Stephen111725

tomc wrote:That red-ish leaves are symptomatic of low oxygen level in soil. trees in pots grow best with very coarse soil that hold a lot of air.

For me that is one part gran-I-grit chicken scratch and one part pine bark mulch.

Potting soil, garden, soil holds too much water for trees.

For now I would poke many holes into soil (to airate it) with a chop-stick. Next spring replace soil (it is too late to do this now).

Stake your sapling and loosely lash it to stake.

Berm it into garden in fall, it needs to sleep out of doors in the winter.
What does the last two parts mean?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Until the trunk grows strong enough to support the tree you'll have to put a tall sturdy stick (called stake in the US) and tie the tree loosely to the stick.
Apple trees need some time in cool temperatures. They need to rest (go dormant) for some time in winter. If you put the pot in the ground in your garden in the winter the tree will get the rest it needs.
Can you post a picture of the pot the tree is in? If it dries out in just a few hours the pot is probably too small for the tree.

Stephen111725

ButterflyLady29 wrote:Until the trunk grows strong enough to support the tree you'll have to put a tall sturdy stick (called stake in the US) and tie the tree loosely to the stick.
Apple trees need some time in cool temperatures. They need to rest (go dormant) for some time in winter. If you put the pot in the ground in your garden in the winter the tree will get the rest it needs.
Can you post a picture of the pot the tree is in? If it dries out in just a few hours the pot is probably too small for the tree.
20160612_114241.jpeg
20160612_114253.jpeg

As you can see the leaves got worse but I also changed out the soil scince last time with tree soil and perlite.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”