John Scott
Newly Registered

Identify these plants, please

Tree.jpg
And this.jpg
Hi

I need help identifying these two plants (trees?) - bought them in Tokyo and never really bothered with knowing what they are. Not I am curious to know.

Thanks in advance!

John

imafan26
Mod

I don't recognize the first one. If it has a bloom or fuit would help to narrow it down.

The second one is possibly a helliconia or Calathea. If the root is rhyzome it is something in the ginger family. Until the flower comes out it is not that easy to narrow it down.

John Scott
Newly Registered

Thanks, imafan. Appreciate the help. I might be able to get some more pictures to help narrow it down.

applestar
Mod

Does the first one have thorns? Does it smell spicy when crushed? It could be sansho....?

John Scott
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Does the first one have thorns? Does it smell spicy when crushed? It could be sansho....?
No thorns, no smell. Here's a close up.
branch.JPG

John Scott
Newly Registered

This tree.png
Here's another one. Very curious about this one.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The tree? Was that picture taken in winter or is the tree dead? Very difficult to ID a dead or dormant tree. Not impossible, depending on how expert you are and if the tree has any particular identifying characteristics as far as over all shape, bark, etc. But WAY harder than if there were leaves.

It always helps to tell us where you are located. That helps narrow down the choices a little bit....

John Scott
Newly Registered

It was taken in the winter. The tree was cut down, so cannot get any other pictures of it. It was a good tree and provided shade in the summer. A neighbor cut it down.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”