ruffmagau
Newly Registered

How to care for Yucca tree

We bought a Yucca tree (plant) a few months ago and transplanted it into a large pot. Having palm like plants die on me before, I made sure to water it almost everyday. Then some of the leaves started to yellow and my research indicated these plants don't like too much water. I haven't really watered the plant in a while because the dirt remained moist WAY longer than the other two plants we have (majestic palm and peace lilly). The water remained moist long enough that white moldy spots started to form on the top layer of dirt.

The leaves continue to yellow and I am not sure how to save this plant. Help please!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Are you sure it is not just a yellow variety?
YUCCA FILAMENTOSA COLOR GUARD.jpg
If not, your plant may be not getting enough light. Yucca plants need lots, and lots of light! They need to be in (direct if possible) sunlight all day.

Another reason could be that the leaves are simply old and you can just pull the leaf off and then a new one will grow. If only some leaves are yellow, maybe this is the case.

You are right, make sure to not let the soil be moist for too long. They don't like too much water. I'd say water it a a week after the soil dries out completely. Normal Potting soil is designed to keep moisture in it longer. So if you have normal potting soil, I would swap it for Cacti Potting Soil or any other sandy soil.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”