PinkPetalPolygon

how deep should this tree be planted?

I realize that this pot may be too small, but I was wondering how deeply you should plant the trunk of the tree?

does this tree require full sunlight or partial shade?

thanks!
Attachments
1463692214179.jpg

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Maple, possibly red maple. Full sun, trunk gets planted only as deep as the roots. Planting deeper will damage the trunk. Maples do better when planted more shallow than most plants. Are there 1 or 2 trees in the pot? If 1 tree with 2 trunks it might do better if you trim the smaller part back to the root zone. Or is the thicker stalk a bamboo support? If it's a support that small of a tree really doesn't need it. The roots grow stronger if a small tree isn't staked or supported.

PinkPetalPolygon

I didn't know unstaked trees grow stronger, but that makes sense. The tree isn't mine, but next time I see it I will unstake it and put it in a sunnier location to begin adjusting to full sunlight.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

The only time a tree needs to be staked is when a large tree with a lot of leaves is first planted. Those need to be staked to keep the tree from blowing over the first year.

applestar
Mod

Yep, and shipped bareroot trees with most of the roots cut off.... But only in the beginning until they grow new roots and are established.

(Well... And fruit trees on super dwarfing stock that only grows a tiny root system)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”