Sierrajeff
Newly Registered

Rhododendron questions (re: Vermont woodland)

We have a nicely wooded parcel in central Vermont - southeast to southwest-facing slopes. The woods are almost entirely deciduous (maple, ash, beech, birch, etc.); the ground is fairly rocky (it's Vermont!) but there's a nice thick layer of leafy humus.

I'd like to plant some rhodies in the woods, in sight of the house - they grow naturally like that back home in West Virginia (and elsewhere), but when I plated a few rhododendron a few years ago, they were dead within months.

The area I planted them was fairly moist (near a stream - too moist?), and as noted has thick humus (which I thought they liked). Of course I'm not too sure about the acidity level, but with all the leaf composting going on I assumed it was at least a little acidic.

Long story short - seeking recommendations, insight and feedback - I'd love to have some nice rhodies growing in the woods, for color and variety.

Thanks!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I think you are too cold for rhodies outside of a cold-house.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have rhodies. They are easy to take care of primarily because they are native plants for this region.
I think your VT property would be a great place for plants that are native plants. You could find some flowering shrubs that are just as nice as rhodies.
The one thing that I don't like about rhodies is that the beautiful blooms don't last very long.

Sierrajeff
Newly Registered

There are rhododendrons throughout the Appalachians up to New England, with Rhododendron maximum 'roseum' apparently being native up through zone 4. So I don't think there's a question that they're appropriate for the area in general; I'm more curious what specifically about my setting was wrong for them.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

After only living 10 years in Vermont, and another thirty in New Hampshire. I can't say as I have ever seen a rhody growing that wasn't protected by both a windbreak and very often a convenient thermal mass, anywhere in northern New England.

You have already demonstrated that they don't grow in open woodland. I guess you can always try again.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I was thinking the same thing, to try again. It's hard to say why the plants died. There is more than one possibility. If your heart is set on having rhodies, you could do some thorough research and try to do everything just right to increase your chances of success. Such as, select hardy varieties that are specific for the climate zone, test the soil, dig down a ways to see how rocky the ground really is, amend the soil around the plant, select ideal planting sites that provide desired sun exposure and wind protection, etc.

spookstaz
Newly Registered

Hello there.

I live 250 km north of you in the greater Montreal area. I have two rhododendrons in an very windy and totally exposted north facing flowerbed. Both of them survived the winter and came out of it looking healthy, even being loaded with ice from freezing rain and despite a few days of -30 degree weather.

What I did was surround the plants with wood stakes and then wrap the stakes with semi-breathable plastic plant covering and staple it to the stakes. I also sprayed the leaves with anti-desiccant. The rhodies pulled through the whole winter with very little damage to the leaves and branches. Unfortunately all of the flower buds turned brown and died so there were no flowers but they have been putting on LOTS of new growth. Next season I will try wrapping the flower buds with some insulating material (suggestions?) to see if I can get some flowers.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”