lemongardener
Newly Registered

Questions about My Pear Tree

Hello! I have a nice pear tree and in 2014 it actually had pears, for the first time (in the 3 years we lived there at the time) and they where huge and delicious. :P
These were literally only a hand full of the pears we picked.
These were literally only a hand full of the pears we picked.

Then in 2015 the tree didn't bloom flowers, but we have tiny baby pears on the tree, then they fell off mid summer. No pears in the fall. :( This spring the pear tree bloomed pretty white flowers. So last night I was wandering around my yard and I noticed The Pear Tree has the beginnings of pears on it.
This was one of the many I found, there were some that were much bigger about gold ball size.
This was one of the many I found, there were some that were much bigger about gold ball size.
Bigger than the ones from 2014. But I'm worried they will fall off again mid summer. Is there anything I can do to help keep the pears growing strong? The pear tree is in a semi Soggy area of the yard would that have something to do with it?

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Hi lemongardener, nice haul of pears!

Let me suggest re-posting this in the Fruit Forum on this site. I think you'll get more discussion there.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Don't worry, what is going on may actually be normal...you see, fruit trees often "get rid" of up to 80% of all their immature fruit for two reasons:
•so that that the healthier fruit gets more nutritients
•or so that the fruit next year is better
This is called June Drop.

However, when immature fruit falls of the tree, this may also be caused by changes in the environment. Examples include late frost, warm spring, too much humidity, too cold, etc. Obviously, this is not something you can prevent or change.

And the next reason: are pests. Sometimes bugs such as Stink bugs can "drink" the nutrients out of the fruit and the fruit is no longer healthy enough to grow on the tree. I'm not saying that stink bugs are the only possible pest that is causing this problem. But it is a possibility.

In my opinion, the reason why your tree isn't producing any fruit is because of the environmental changes, that I wrote about in the 2nd point. Because as you mentioned, the tree did bear fruit one year but then didn't the next =probably just changes in the environment.

Anyway, good luck and hope your tree does better.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”