Simon72
Newly Registered

Moving an aggressively pruned forsythia

I guess the title says it all. I'd like to move a forsythia that was aggressively pruned last autumn. The shrub is growing nice new green shoots but I now want a Lilly bed where the forsythia is. I understand the mechanics of moving but is it wise to move now? In the spring, when so much growth is starting.

KeyWee

I really don't think you can kill forsythia. Being an avid "plant-mover" myself, I do it all the time until I get things where I want them (I call it the "sink or swim" method). With some more sensitive or non-hardy plants, I would think twice about what time of year to move them, but with forsythia ~ go. It may look a little stressed for awhile, but it has all spring, summer, and into fall to get settled in.
ETA ~ do not prune it again until after it blooms next spring (in case you didn't already know that:)

applestar
Mod

It's better to move it before the hot weather settles in. I agree pruning in the fall would have cut off all the flower buds that would have bloomed this spring.

Simon72
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:It's better to move it before the hot weather settles in. I agree pruning in the fall would have cut off all the flower buds that would have bloomed this spring.
Quite, but it was becoming unmanageable. This gives me a fresh start.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”