Simon72
Newly Registered

Moving an aggressively pruned forsythia

I guess the title says it all. I'd like to move a forsythia that was aggressively pruned last autumn. The shrub is growing nice new green shoots but I now want a Lilly bed where the forsythia is. I understand the mechanics of moving but is it wise to move now? In the spring, when so much growth is starting.

KeyWee

Re: Moving an aggressively pruned forsythia

I really don't think you can kill forsythia. Being an avid "plant-mover" myself, I do it all the time until I get things where I want them (I call it the "sink or swim" method). With some more sensitive or non-hardy plants, I would think twice about what time of year to move them, but with forsythia ~ go. It may look a little stressed for awhile, but it has all spring, summer, and into fall to get settled in.
ETA ~ do not prune it again until after it blooms next spring (in case you didn't already know that:)

applestar
Mod

It's better to move it before the hot weather settles in. I agree pruning in the fall would have cut off all the flower buds that would have bloomed this spring.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Simon72
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:It's better to move it before the hot weather settles in. I agree pruning in the fall would have cut off all the flower buds that would have bloomed this spring.
Quite, but it was becoming unmanageable. This gives me a fresh start.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”