housaa
Newly Registered

Thuja Green Giant Help Needed

They have been planted for about a yr, about 1.5-2 ft when planted, and approx 3 ft tall now, our soil is mostly clay based, though we did fill the original hole with planting soil. We planted 50 trees, 5 ft apart and hv lost 3, but have about 5 more not looking so well. Orange and losing foilage. We are in myrtle beach south carolina. Not sure if they need more water, less...fertilizer? Idk. We only water occasionally (maybe once a week), and rely on the rainfall. The trees are in full sun, about 6 hrs and partial sun another several hrs.
Attachments
20160425_174508.jpg
20160425_174536.jpg

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Fertilizer is needed. For bigger trees use Tree Fertilizer Spikes, or for smaller trees use liquid Fertilizer that you add to water.
Also, last year I began digging fruit that had gone bad under my baby trees and this year they not only improved their growing rate but also their leaves look more alive. Try doing that.

Or maybe the reason why is beacuse the trees experienced very cold temperature, and that damaged them. But either way, fertilizer would help.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have Emerald Green Arborvitaes. They are similar to your Green Giants but smaller. You do not say where you are located. I am wondering if you are located in California or in some other drought affected area. These trees can be adversly affected by drought conditions. It is tricky when it comes to this type if tree because the affects of a drought year may not be apparent until one or two years later. Last year, we had a summer drought here in western Washington. I was worried about my trees, so I applied mulch, and watered my arborvitaes more often than I usually do during the drought. They seem to be doing fine. But if I had not done what I did to help them, I might be pulling up some dead trees by now.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”