Hedge Privacy - Need advice!

A friendly forum to explore the unique qualities and problems that come with trees, shrubs and hedges. Share your questions and tips about trees, shrubs and hedges right here!
Murphyvik
Newly Registered

Hedge Privacy - Need advice!

Post by Murphyvik »

We live in a ranch in a suburban neighborhood in Bucks County PA. Our house is a corner property and our yard is facing a cross street. We desperately want some privacy! You can see we already have a 5 foot fence but are looking for a hedge serve as privacy from traffic. Most nurseries will recommend the Emerald Green Arborvitae, but being in aranch style neighborhood, we really don't want to all of the sudden have a 15 foot giant wall. We are looking for maybe 6 feet...and certainly don't mind pruning every season. Can you plant privets along a fence line?? Please help...we have been debating this for years! Below is a photo from our back porch.
20160419_182631_resized_1.jpg

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Re: Hedge Privacy - Need advice!

Post by HoneyBerry »

I have arborvitaes and I love them. They make a great privacy hedge.

6' high, especially at a distance, will not really provide much in the way of privacy.

Trees would provide some privacy, but they grow slowly.
ISFP "The Artist"

charlesjschram
Newly Registered

Post by charlesjschram »

I love my caragana (pea shrub) hedge. I planted them in May 2014 from seedlings and they're already 6' tall. I just can't decide if they're growing TOO fast and need trimmed back.
Attachments
20160428_122813.jpg
1560427_10203452226478656_6475864973450184125_n.jpg

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3

Post by Taiji »

Out here pyracantha works well for privacy. It's great for here because it tolerates poor soil, drought, and no wild animals eat it! Except for the orange berries; the birds like them. It grows 5 or 6 feet per year out here. I think it can grow most anywhere.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”