Mwalsh5
Newly Registered

Hard cutback Rhodis question does this look right

Hello all. I had a company do some landscaping and they did a hard cutback of the shrubs specifically rhodis. Attaching a picture here does this look normal? It seems like they just cut them not really doing things right?
Attachments
20160416_100352.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

something didn't work right. I'm not seeing a picture, just a bunch of numbers.JPG. I tried clicking on that and it said the attachment does not exist any more.

If you are having trouble with how to post pictures, you can PM webmaster and he will help you with it.

Welcome to the Forum anyway! it always helps to tell us where you are located. There are hardly any garden questions that can be discussed without regard to location/ climate.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, now I can see your photo. I don't know if you changed something or if the previous problem was part of the problems the site was having.

You still haven't said where you are. The pruning job doesn't look great, but is OK. Question is the timing. If you are just going into a hot summer period, that is a bad time to stress a plant like that. Where I am azaleas and rhodies are still in bloom. In bloom would be a bad time to do it too. Rhodies are usually pruned right after they finish blooming.

In any case, an established rhododendron is pretty hardy. It may be set back a bit, but should survive. Don't fertilize it, just let it rest and recoup. Keep it well watered and provide some shade, if it isn't in a shady area.

nltaff

Two winters ago, 2014-15, here in Zone 5 Central NY we had more snow than we'd seen in years and the deer got into everything. Your Rhodo looks like my two did when those deer were done with them. I really thought they were goners, but I left them alone and now this spring they are throwing up lots of green from the middle of the plant. It might take a year or two, but that bush will come back into shape for you and hopefully be fuller, more lush because of the hard prune. My two plants seem to have recovered despite my neglecting to attend to the soil (just didn't get to that for a couple of years).

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”