HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Lilacs with Arborvitaes

Last fall, I planted 2 dark purple heirloom lilacs amongst my arborvitaes, for some color and variety. The lilacs are budding. They should bloom soon. Usually the end of April or the begin of May. I'm looking forward to blooms. These photos are a bit dark. It looks better in real life.
image.jpg
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The lilacs look like they are shaded by the dense arborvitae and are not getting enough light. They look tall and spindly, rather than bushy.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Yes, they are tall and spindly. They were in a different spot. I transplanted them to this new spot last year. Actually, they are doing well. The picture is dark so you can't see the new buds. I think they will reach for the sun even in this new spot because it is shaded north exposure, and they are inside the row of arborvitaes. The arborvitaes are a privacy screen. They liliacs are adding some color. I expect that they will lean left (east) and grow tall as they mature. I will get a better picture of them when they are in full bloom in May. It isn't an ideal spot for the lilacs but I think it will work. The lilacs are just sprouts from my big tree. No money spent, just some time and labor.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”