Legion739
Newly Registered

Weird tree branch growing back into itself.... ?

So there is this weird tree at our office

Look at the (about 3/4cm thick branch coming out of it ), It comes out of the tree, then grows up for over a meter and then grows back into the tree....

This is the strangest thing I've ever seen. Is there any explanation as to why / how a tree would grow like this ?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

It happens. It looks like the branch came out really close to the main trunk and as time went by and the trunk got bigger it started swallowing up the little branch. You can see that happening at the base of the little branch. The top part of the branch would have had to be held against the main trunk for it to get swallowed up like that. Maybe there was another branch or something holding the two together. In 10 or so years the main part of the little branch will be barely visible.

I've seen where some pretty strange things have been "eaten" by growing trees. The most common is when a tree grows around a fence.

Legion739
Newly Registered

Ah ok makes scene, it's quite fascinating the branch still has about 2cm space between it and the tree. will keep an eye on it and see how it gets swallowed slowly

imafan26
Mod

I would be more concerned about the tree next to the building. If the roots are invasive they can get under the foundation and cause problems.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I worry about trees falling on buildings, but that's just me. I don't like the idea of any big tree within crushing distance of a building.

The place where I work spent a load of money removing some huge trees a few years back. They removed big trees and planted little (but still capable of getting very large) trees in their places. Just delayed the problem for a few more years.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”