ecurie
Newly Registered

help with my jade plant

I brought a tiny piece of jade plant from WI to South FLorida. I stuck it in the ground outside and it's getting taller and growing new leaves. Seems to be happy with it's new home. I'm a little worried sinceit's in a spot with FULL sun.. no shade at all. During the summer might this be too much sun/heat for the little guy? I'll cross my fingers that someone with more knowledge than me.. has some idea where I should put this little guy.
thanks for any help.
mary

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Mary,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I grow Jades and keep them outside in full sun during the summer. I realize that my version of full sun may not be as "potent" as yours so I can't say definitively. In good sun they acquire a red tinge at the edges of the leaves, this is nothing to be concerned about. I usually take it as a sign of good health.

They can get "sunburned" if moved from a low light situation to full sun without a transition but this is not the case here.

I think I would leave it where it is and just keep an eye on it. If by some chance you find there is a problem you can easily transplant it, they hardly miss a beat. By the end of next summer you will know for sure. Are you aware of their unusual watering requirements?

Norm

ecurie
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:Mary,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I grow Jades and keep them outside in full sun during the summer. I realize that my version of full sun may not be as "potent" as yours so I can't say definitively. In good sun they acquire a red tinge at the edges of the leaves, this is nothing to be concerned about. I usually take it as a sign of good health.

They can get "sunburned" if moved from a low light situation to full sun without a transition but this is not the case here.

I think I would leave it where it is and just keep an eye on it. If by some chance you find there is a problem you can easily transplant it, they hardly miss a beat. By the end of next summer you will know for sure. Are you aware of their unusual watering requirements?

Norm
Thanks very much for your help!! I like the idea of watching it where it is. and then moving it if need be. So Smart!!
thanks again

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”