tomc
Super Green Thumb

Winter sowing tree and forest plants

I am going through a steady stock of apple root-stock for grafting, and almost as many other fruit and nut tree (saplings) as I can I can finagle. At $8.00 to $20.00 per-each, it doesn't take long for me to hit my limit.

Tree seeds tolerate winter sowing and cold stratification very well. I buy the deepest storage totes I can, with at least the sides in translucent plastic. I cut in holes for drainage, and make divider to quarter the tote for four different kinds of seed.

I mix up soil of one part each granite chicken scratch, pine bark mulch, and peat moss. I may also too dress with peat if I am planting very small seeds.

This year I will plant out; spring blooming (H vernalis), fall blooming (H virginiana) witch hazel, pawpaw, sassafras, apple (antonovka), hazel nut, pecan, chinkapin, a wild plum, and others I am not thinking of.

I expect to move all (save pawpaw) into cells some time this summer. Pawpaw will have to wait till it goes dormant.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So you are growing all these trees from seed? What a worthy project.

I grow lots of stuff from seed, but have never really started trees from seed. Just so slow, especially if you ever want to see them produce pecans or paw paws or whatever.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Actually its not that slow. A summer in a seedling pan (or tote) and the rest of the year round in a gallon pot.

applestar
Mod

I have to try this. Thanks for the heads up. :D

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I admit, poking at stuff in my garden is a weakness of mine. I liked Gnomes air-layer photo. :)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”