theleifmeister
Newly Registered

Eastern Red Cedar?

Hi everyone,

I live in MD in I think a 7a zone, old post war residential neighborhood with not too large of a lawn, maybe 1000 sq feet. Right now I have a screen of Perennial tall grasses that block the street but they are a bit annoying to handle every year. I have been offered an Easter Red Cedar about 6 feet tall that I could replace the grasses with, any reason this would be bad?
I am inclined to plant it since I like trees more then grasses but want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Thanks very much,
Leif

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Hi there,
Eastern Red Cedar trees grow to be very large. Huge is a better word. My neighbor has a row of mature cedars and they are 50 feet tall by about 20 feet wide. That 6' tall tree that you are considering, I am sure is very beautiful and tempting. I do love cedar trees myself. It seems like your yard is too small for a tree with such large size potential. I have arborvitaes and they make a nice screen. They are evergreen and are very beautiful. Some arborvitae varieties grow very large, so be sure to do some research before purchasing any. I have Emerald Green Arborvitaes. They are popular so you probably have seen them around.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”