HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Weeping Lace Leaf Maple not weeping

I have 2 lace leaf maple starts that are supposed to be the weeping variety. I bought them from a retired coworker. He showed me an full grown tree that looked really weepy. It reminded me of the hair on Cousin It. My 2 tree starts are supposed to have been from that weeping tree that he showed me. I've had my 2 tree starts in the ground now for over 5 years are they are not weeping yet. One of them shot straight a branch straight up about 2 feet last year. I like the trees, even though they aren't weeping like I expected. I sometimes wonder what happened but I don't have a clue. If I am supposed to train them to weep, it will not happen because I don't have time for that. I hope they don't get very tall because they aren't in the right location for tall trees.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Thank you, I never would have thought of that. I'm thinking about trying to contact the person who sold them to me, like you suggested.

I still like them, even if they don't weep. I hope they don't get too tall for sight distance reasons. One of them is on the corner next to the road.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Yeah, I need to talk to the source about these trees. 20-30 is small for a tree but too big for that spot by the road. But maybe it will be okay since the leaves would be on the top part of the tree. The sight distance might be okay. I need to think about it. Those trees are growing slowly so I have plenty of time.
Thanks.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”