AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Berry bush to cover dead bush.

I have a bush. One side of it is dead, so I want a bush/plant that can "climb" up the dead bush and cover it all, preferably something that produces fruit or berries. :D

Thanks

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I've heard raspberries grow well. But not sure if my hard soil and shadowy yard is best for them.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

What kind of bush? And what if anything has happened on the living side recently? And what season is it where you are? Raspberries are not a good substitute for the missing half of a bush. They tend to be just a bit too aggressive for ornamental plantings. Maybe an annual vine like cypress vine or some perennial sweet peas would look good in that spot.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

The bush is an evergreen bush, and the reason one side is dead is because I trimed it too much, and maybe it got infected or something :oops:

So, it's not anything delicate, which is why I was thinking of raspberries

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Would a kiwi vine work? I have hard soil and max 1 hour of sunlight.

imafan26
Mod

This may sound radical but, if you like the bush and it is otherwise healty. cut the other side and trim it down to the main stems and let it grow back evenly. If it is a fast growing bush it may take a couple of years.

Otherwise, why not just replace it instead. Most vines will kill the other side of the bush anyway.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

If you have hard soil and a max of one hour sunlight, raspberries won't do well. I don't know of very many vines that will do well in hard soil and little sun, except honeysuckle or Virginia creeper but both of those are weeds you don't want in your yard.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

The truth is I actually want the evergreen bush to die :roll: :oops: cause I don't feel like removing it, but instead want it to die and act as a ladder to grow all over with some berry / fruit bush.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”