Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Planting a pyracantha privacy hedge

I'm planting some pyracantha from one gallon containers to create a privacy hedge. It's a great choice for here in central Arizona: drought tolerant, heat tolerant, tolerant of poor soil, no animals eat it. (the foliage anyway)

My question is, since it's starting break the bank buying lots of one gallon containers, can pyracantha be started from taking a relatively skinny cutting, say, during the dormant wintertime, or just before spring, dipping it in a rooting hormone, sticking it in the ground, and keeping it moist? Or, any other suggestions? :)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I have to ask, how close are you planting the pyracantha? I have 2 that 15+ years old. They seem to be bushier on top, less so on the lower few feet. I can't see them planted any less than 15' apart, especially as in your climate will be trying to get any available water. For a privacy hedge can you have some small bushier things in between? Perhaps tall grasses? Mine are gorgeous now with orange berries going into deeper orange-red. The mockingbirds are all over them late winter.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I hear what you're saying and distance apart was a consideration, but, I went with about 5 or 6 feet. I thought I would get a faster hedge that way. People at the nursery said that would be a good distance. I figured if I put them farther apart, they would take more time to fill in. Was planning on trimming them off at about 6 feet high, hopefully to encourage lateral growth faster. In 15+ yrs. I'll be 80, and was looking to have privacy before then! :) I do have a couple of pampas grass plants that I put in to help too.
My dad had a row of pyracantha at a house he just sold that made a great hedge; I think the distance was about 5 feet apart. There is an older one at the property too, and it is as you say, about 8 or 9 feet high, loaded with berries, and really bushy at the top. That's where I took my cuttings and put them in a box of wet sand, with a plastic bag covering! Guess I'll see if they root! Thx. for the thoughts Susan! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yes, pyracantha roots easily from cuttings.

This article:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=431

if you scroll down has links to methods of doing this using either "semi-ripe" or "hardwood" cuttings.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”