Beckogurl
Newly Registered

removing trees & replanting in same spot?

Hi. I'm trying to come up with a plan for my backyard but am having a dilemma I'm hoping someone could help me with.

There is a flowerbed about 3 feet wide all the way across the back of the yard. I am thinking I'd really like to plant emerald green arborvitae all along there to block out the view of a run down apartment building behind my house and give me some privacy.

The problem is there are 2 trees growing in the flowerbed. I'm not sure what kind they are, I think one is some sort of elm. They are both quite tall but their trunks aren't that big around. But they are growing pretty close together, about 4 feet apart or so.

If I have the trees removed, I'm worried their root systems would still make it impossible to plant the arborvitae in that area. And if I was to plant the arborvitae about 3 feet apart like I was hoping to, the spacing wouldnt work out well with avoiding the stump area of the previous trees.

Would it be possible to plant arborvitae in the same general place where the trees were removed? Would this require a terrible amount of digging up and removing the roots? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks!
Becky

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Becky,

Hello and welcome. It would be best to remove as much of the old root systems as possible. If you just cut back to a stump an Elm will sprout anew each spring, they are very tenacious trees.

If they are not too large in diameter you can probably grub them out. It will take some effort but it can be done. One tactic is to use the height of the tree to your advantage. First remove any low branches that will be in the way. Now wiggle the tree and look for movement in the soil, and with a hatchet or axe sever that root as far away from the trunk as you can.

Now the trunk should be easier to move so repeat the process using the trunk as a lever and removing as many roots as you can. Eventually you will be able to pull the tree over.

If this seems like too much work or the trees are too large you can also simply cut them down and have the stumps professionally removed with a stump grinder.

Norm

betyrocker
Newly Registered

Hello,
I have beautiful large arborvitea tree I planted bout 10 years ago in my front yard and my association leader does not like it. It is rather large for the size of lawn I have. I live in a town home comunity.
I would love to move it too my back yard. Is this possible and if so how can I go about it. I really love this tree, it has sentimental value to me.
Thank You
Chrisitne

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”