MrCass
Newly Registered

Cutting back a Walnut Tree

Hello, can anyone answer this:
Is it true if you cut back a large old tree in the garden, will it affect the foundations of the house? Its about 35 feet away but its a big old walnut tree

Thank you

Mrcass

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi MrCass,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'cut back a large old tree', but if you mean you want to top the tree I would suggest you just remove it. Topping trees makes them ugly and isn't good for the health of the tree. It can also make them unstable with the flush of growth that can happen.
https://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/PLANTS/index.html

https://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/TRA/PLANTS/topping.html

I think you are referring to subsidence prevention if the tree is pruned. Pruning won't stop or help subsidence.

Newt

MrCass
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info Newt

Good links too

Cheers

Mrcass

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are very welcome! I hope that was helpful.

Newt

Prairie

I am new and bringing an older thread back to life. Yes, I believe a mature tree planted too close to the house can damage its foundation. I moved into a home with a caved-in basement wall due to a mature tree planted to close. The tree was removed and the wall anchored before we moved in...we continue to turn the anchors to move the wall back over time. So far, it's working. It was very expensive for the home's seller to repair. It'll also be very pricey for us if the anchor system doesn't work. As for tree topping...the roots are still in the ground and the tree is ugly. I see no point in taking this approach.

Enjoyed reading everything! Helpful information!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Prarie,

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener. You make a really good point. We purchased our house and had to cut down a honeylocust for the same reason. The roots were pressing against the foundation.

Newt

Prairie

Hello, Newt! I've also been told that a yucca plant can cause foundation damage. So, I carefully dug one out at the old house...and keep after a small one that instists on growing back at our current home. :twisted:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”