BML

Pruning a Wallnut Tree?

The wallnut tree in my garden is becoing very large. Is it possible to cut back branches on it without harming it?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

BML,

I have several large Walnuts in my yard but have done little in the way of pruning. Mostly I have removed lower branches, back to the trunk, as they became troublesome. They heal well and I see no reason that you cannot prune as you wish. Cut branches back back to an existing fork if that is how you wish the tree to be.

Norm

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

I'm not sure what you intend to do but if you are talking about topping the tree please don't.

Although a skilled pruner can control the growth rate of trees to some extent a tree that is too large for the site is really best replaced with something more appropriate to the available space.
If you are simply talking about limbing up a tree as Gnome refers to in his second sentence that should be no problem but be sure to cut to but not into the branch collar. Stub cuts and flush cuts are not acceptable pruning practice. There is both craft and science to proper pruning.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”