carolinea
Newly Registered

Pine tree with webs

Hello,

We recently got two pine trees (not sure what kind) from a local nursery (Queens NY) and planted them in pots in our backyard (sadly there is no actual ground available to plant them). One of the trees looks very healthy, but when examining it the other day, I noticed some very fine soft webbing in the branches and on the trunk. I am very new to gardening (and thus very happy to have found this forum), but I'm guessing it's some kind of silkworm? I haven't seen any actual silkworms, or damage to the tree, but I don't want to wait for this to become a problem. I have attached two photos, one is a thick web on the trunk, the other is a looser web in the branches (it's wet because I had just sprayed down the tree).

Anybody know what this may be, or what the best treatment (if any) is needed?
Attachments
IMG_5863.JPG
IMG_5861.JPG

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I don't know what it is but I think it might be a spider. I have some webs like that on my rhody and there is a black spider, so it's probably a nest. Therer are 2 of them on my rhody. They are not causing any damage. Don't know if you have the same spider or not but the first web picture looks very much like mine. One of my webs became stuck to my hand when I was pruning. This particular type of web is very sticky. A spider ran out from the web. I want to be kind so I'm trying to not bother the other web. I have lots of spiders in my shrubs. Their webs provide nest material for hummingbirds. I love the spiders. I'm not giving you advice, because I don't know if you have a harmless spider or if you have something undesirable.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

You might have caterpillars. Possibly PINE TREE CATERPILLARS. I think they will eat the leaves when the eggs hatch. You need to do some research or find an arborist. Master gardeners sometimes have booths at farmers markets and offer free help. There is a university extension for plant research in my neighborhood that offers free help. Plant researchers like them could probably figure out what it is by looking at the picture. Do you live near a university perhaps?

applestar
Mod

This is a tricky one. You don't want to spray unnecessarily if this is spider web and nest. Spiders would protect the tree from pests.

LIcenter

The first photo looks like a caterpillar nest, but if you look more closely you can see an opening at the bottom. This tells me it is a spiders home, and that's it's entrance. The second photo looks like your normal garden spider web.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, and it (second one) is quite a nice photo. If you enlarge it as much as it will, you can see the web all covered in dew drops, very pretty! :)

Usually if it were one of the bad ones, like web worms, you would either see little caterpillar-ish things inside or at least frass/droppings.

Spider mites tend to be much more delicate bits of webbing:

https://www.treeaidinc.com/uploads/2/3/1 ... 7_orig.jpg

so I agree with Licenter that you are ok...

carolinea
Newly Registered

Thank you everybody for your analysis, this forum is so valuable for a super novice like myself.

Unfortunately today I found a dead worm which I think based on my google search is a bag worm, which could mean the tree is in trouble. It seems like the best treatment is to find the bags, remove them by hand, and dispose of them appropriately (in tightly sealed plastic bags in the trash). I haven't seen any "bags" specifically, but I'm going to do a more thorough search tomorrow. Does anyone here have any experience with these?

My other tree has been showing some brown leaves, despite lots of watering. Is it possible it has an infestation too?
Attachments
IMG_5867.JPG
IMG_5867.JPG (50.73 KiB) Viewed 3359 times

applestar
Mod

Bagworms are not that dangerous to the plant I think?

If you see a bundle of needles -- small cluster at first -- hanging down or pointing out at a strange angle like it's stuck, with a stem like attachment, that would be the "bag". I've been picking them off of my cherry tree leaves, but they are not so numerous that they are defoliating the trees -- Japanese beetles are doing that way more. :evil:

If you found a DEAD worm, something might already be at work, including birds, etc.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”