silvavt
Newly Registered

Suggestion for a privacy hedge in less than ideal conditions

We live in a zone 4 area with very heavy, clay soil. It is less dense in the front yard than in the back, but still quite heavy.
We are having some grading done to adjust the slope of the property away from our (very old) foundation, and are planning to create a bit of a privacy hedge between us and the road.

Although my first instinct was to plant forsythia, both because I love it and because of how quickly it will grow, I'm exploring evergreen options. There is a tremendous amount of salt used on the roads in the winters, and when I see cedar hedges close to the road they are often browning. The road isn't terribly busy, and we are set back a bit, which is why the forsythia seemed fine, however we are interested in selling our home in 6-7 years, so I'm trying to be conscious that future buyers might prefer more privacy and/or dislike the "wild" look of forsythia (while also acknowledging that I will be living here during that time, so I should be happy too!).

The house is set up on a small hill above the road, and we will be installing a rustic fence as well. The house is quite old (in good shape, but an old farmhouse) and a perfectly manicured hedge would look a little out of place.

I'm new to gardening/landscaping, but have been looking for suggestions online and thought I might check here.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It must be bad, if the cedars can't handle it. Cedar usually tops all the lists of salt - tolerant shrubs.

Another shrub that is listed as salt tolerant is American holly, but unfortunately I think it is only hardy to zone 5.

Mugo pine is listed as salt tolerant and hardy to zone 3. It would make a nice hedge, a bit wooly and unmanicured for your rustic look. They can grow to 20' tall, but they get there VERY slowly.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

We planted Thuja Green which is a hybrid arborvitae. It is drought tolerant, grows very fast, gets very dense, grows well in sandy soil to heavy clay. It has that wild look or can be manicured to a more formal look. Only problem is it says zone 5-9. Maybe there is another arborvitae that would work. Winter desiccation is our biggest problem. Ours are ten years old and in the 12 ft. tall range and I have cut the tops off as they get that tall. Of the 25 seedlings we started with, we have lost maybe 6 or 7.

We are considering a viburnum to replace the Thujas as they die out. There are many different varieties and one may do well in your location. Lots of different choices for a privacy hedge.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”