Bruce B
Newly Registered

Help ! sprayed wilt-pruf on junipers and arborvitaes

Being a nice fall day here in Boston, I went out and bought some wilt-pruf for the ornamental shrubs. After spraying the rhodies, pjm's, azaleas and hemlocks I had some leftover so I sprayed some junipers and arborvitaes. Well, when SHMBO came home she was not pleased ! (no good deed goes unpunished !) Did I just kill a bunch of shrubs that we have been nurturing for years ?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Bruce,

Not to worry, the Wilt Pruf shouldn't cause any harm and could be beneficial. DO NOT use it on Japanese maples as it will cause them to burn. Another person I know of had a similar question and contacted Wilt Pruf. Here's their response.
Dear ...,

You may use Wilt-Pruf on arborviaes, but it is important to wait until the plants have completely hardened off, whereby the moisture in the foliage retreats to the root system for the winter. We suggest after the first part of December to be sure. You may spray Wilt-Pruf anytime as long as the spray does not freeze on the foliage while applying and for a couple of hours of drying time afterwards. If there is moisture in the foliage and a deep freeze should occur, that moisture in the plant cells can freeze and burst the cells causing damage to the plants. If Wilt-Pruf has been applied too early before hardening off, we get the blame for an act of nature. Hope this information helps.
Brad Nichols
Newt

Bruce B
Newly Registered

Hi Newt,

Thank you for your reply. I can return home now !

Bruce

Newt
Greener Thumb

Bruce, you are very welcome. Enjoy your evening at home. :)

Newt

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

I would agree with the Wilt-Pruf reply. I don't think you killed anything but the best policy is to wait as late as possible to apply it. I usually tell my clients to wait for a warm (40F+) day in December and then to reapply on another warm day in February. One treatment seems to wear off before the winter is over at these latitudes.

Bruce B
Newly Registered

Thank you "Maine Designer".

Next year I will wait until after Thanksgiving !

Bruce

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”