Dep82

Killer vine? PICTURES ADDED

This vine took over all my roses, and majority of my shrubs. It killed one rose bush already. Any idea how to stop it permanently? I've tried pulling the root... its too deep and awkward to get. I'm afraid to use any kind of poison because it would kill my other roses, shrubs, and plants.
Attachments
20150711_135620.jpg
20150711_135604.jpeg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yup, one of those killer vine weeds. Maybe buckwheat or bindweed, not sure. Have you seen it flower?

Have you seen it flower? Wild buckwheat has small, inconspicuous flower spikes:

https://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/cro ... kwheat.jpg

bindweed has flowers like little white morning glories (to which it is related)

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/wp-cont ... dweed1.jpg

Doesn't really matter, because controlling them is the same problem. If you can't dig the roots out, only two things you can do: Keep a very close eye on the area and every time you see one pop up, immediately clip it off at or below ground level. If you do this routinely several times a week for a long time, eventually you will starve the roots of energy and it will die. And/or mulch the area well, maybe with weed barrier fabric or cardboard under the mulch. It will help smother the weed. (Then watch for it to pop up somewhere else - they can travel underground a pretty long ways searching for a suitable place to come up. )

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Dep82 - Where are you located?

Dep82

GardeningCook wrote:Dep82 - Where are you located?
Michigan

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

That doesn't look like Bindweed or wild Buckwheat to me. Have you checked out any of the Michigan websites re: invasive vining plants?

Dep82

GardeningCook wrote:That doesn't look like Bindweed or wild Buckwheat to me. Have you checked out any of the Michigan websites re: invasive vining plants?
Yeah, I can't find a match!

Dep82

rainbowgardener wrote:yup, one of those killer vine weeds. Maybe buckwheat or bindweed, not sure. Have you seen it flower?

Have you seen it flower? Wild buckwheat has small, inconspicuous flower spikes:

https://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/cro ... kwheat.jpg

bindweed has flowers like little white morning glories (to which it is related)

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/wp-cont ... dweed1.jpg

Doesn't really matter, because controlling them is the same problem. If you can't dig the roots out, only two things you can do: Keep a very close eye on the area and every time you see one pop up, immediately clip it off at or below ground level. If you do this routinely several times a week for a long time, eventually you will starve the roots of energy and it will die. And/or mulch the area well, maybe with weed barrier fabric or cardboard under the mulch. It will help smother the weed. (Then watch for it to pop up somewhere else - they can travel underground a pretty long ways searching for a suitable place to come up. )
Yea... is this bindweed?
Attachments
20150716_204319-1-1.jpg

imafan26
Mod

The bindweed I know has much smaller flowers. Maybe moonflower, the night blooming version of morning glory. It is just as invasive.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:The bindweed I know has much smaller flowers. Maybe moonflower, the night blooming version of morning glory. It is just as invasive.
"Moonflower" is an annual here in the mainland states - particularly a place as temperate as Michigan. It's not in any way invasive & doesn't even reliably re-seed. I've grown it frequently both in NY & here in VA with absolutely zero problems. In fact, it can be difficult to start.

applestar
Mod

Dep82 wrote:Yea... is this bindweed?
Yep. Definitely looks like bindweed to me. The unremarkable flowers and narrow leaves with no distinct triangular Or heart-shaped lobes like morning glory is a typical point of ID.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I agree that you most likely have Bindweed there. Start yanking it out asap & be MERCILESS about doing so. The only success stories I've heard of have involved insistent persistent constant yanking out of every little sprig that rears its ugly head. Eventually (& that could be a long time) the roots die because there's no foliage to support them.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”