jeh

Unhappy white birch

IMG_8274 smaller.JPG
IMG_8275 smaller.JPG
IMG_8278.JPG
This is a young European White Birch that was planted about 15 months ago in a very mild area of SoCal. It's in amended clay which actually drains fairly well. It's in full sun and gets a deep watering once a week, at least that's what I've read to do. It's been fertilized once with an all purpose fertilizer. I've also recently put down about 2" of mulch about 4" from the trunk and then spreading out about 2 feet. Any ideas?

shadylane
Green Thumb

Hello Jeh found this site...https://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howto ... _birch.htm
scroll all the way down to find European White Birch. It gives you some reasoning's of your problems of concern...I can understand your disappointments. We all should do our home work research with large projects of tree care and planting. At times we just don't have their correct climate environment for their good survival.
Best of luck :)

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

OP - if your European White Birch doesn't make it & you want to replace it with another birch, you may want to look into a variety called "Dura-Heat". It has many of the sought-after highlights of birches (multicolored peeling bark, etc.), & is better suited to heat & humidity than the northern-climate white birches. We planted one late last year that seems to be doing well, & many of our local shopping centers have them as specimen trees.

I'm not familiar with the Southern California climate, but just throwing this out there.

jeh

Thanks...good info. I'm going to go to that website right now and see what it has to say. I would really hate to lose that tree. I love the graceful look to them. Thanks again!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”