Safroniabee

Dogwood getting too much sun?

We planted a very young dog wood tree earlier this spring, and for a while we weren't sure it had survived. It dropped a lot of leaves and looked very wilty. Then, suddenly, it's sprouted a ton of new leaves. Now we are in a heat wave, the newest buds seem halted, and all the leaves seem very dry and stiff. I water it plenty but it does get quite a bit of sun. Is the plant doomed? Should we try moving it? Based on how it reacted to the first transplant, I'm reluctant to move it, and we don't really have any spots that get much more shade. I thought about erecting something tall near it to give some shade at least until it gets a bit bigger and hardier, but would that just be delaying the inevitable? Any advice would be welcomed!

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Two things - first off, where are you located? Second, what type of Dogwood is it?

Here in Virginia, where the sun, heat, & humidity can be semi-brutal during the late Spring thru early Fall months, we don't have the problem(s) you mention with either the Pink Dogwood or the Kousa Dogwood we planted - both in full sun. However, all of the wild native Dogwoods we have growing on our property are doing well in their natural semi-shade locations, & I suspect they wouldn't be doing so well if they were planted in the same sunny locations our nursery ones are.

Safroniabee

I'm not really sure what kind it is, we bought it from a local tree sale and they didn't give us much info. It was listed as a "white dogwood". I am in Middle TN, I think zone 7.

After reading up a bit I'm wondering if the problem is actually overwatering? I didn't realize too much water could lead to dry leaves. They aren't brown around the edges but they are curling and dry feeling. It just feels counter intuitive to cut back on water when it's so hot outside!

Some of the leaves also have some very small holes.. Any suggestions for what might be eating them and how to prevent?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”