Sarina
Newly Registered

Cypress needs help

Hi Everyone :D
I live in FL in zone 9a or 8b. I have 2 bald cypress that I bought the winter before last. I got them in the ground and watered them like crazy. I water them very often (every 2-3 days) leaving the hose on them for hours at a time. In the spring they bloom with lots of leaves but now in about mid June I am seeing the leaves turn a rusty color. It doesn't start at the tip of the leaf but at the base and works its way out until it dies (see pics) Last year both trees did it at the same time. This year I only notice one doing it. All the other cypress I see in my area are lush and thriving right now. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20150620_165733.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You get 50 inches of rain a year. Why are you watering these trees so much? Maybe they needed some supplemental watering a year and a half ago while trying to get rooted in. Once established, they can handle periods of dry. Might need extra water in spring when leafing out and in fall to water it in before it goes dormant, but even so that wouldn't be "hours" with a house, it would be more like half hr with drip irrigation.

It looks like it has some kind of rust disease. I don't know if that is related to the over watering or just your natural humidity.

Welcome to the Forum. Now that I have "bumped" your post, maybe more people will chime in. :)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”