harryhh
Cool Member

Pruning trees and disease?

I want to prune the lower branches on pine, maple, and crabapple trees in order to let light in for the grass.

On the 2 maple and 2 crabapple trees I will cut anywhere from 4 to 8 branches each. On the 3 pine trees, anywhere from 6, and on 1 pine tree, as many as 12 branches. Two of them are close to 4 inches thick.

I was wondering if cutting this many branches on a tree at one time greatly increases the chance of disease? Should I cut a couple of branches, then wait a month before cutting more?

Also, is there much chance of transferring disease from one tree to another. I don't know much about trees and the only thing I can see is that the leaves on one of the maples look a little wilted. Might be my imagination.

Thanks,
Harry

harryhh
Cool Member

Sorry I didn't get back to you Marlingardener.

I had read your post and was continuing to look up info. What I read pretty much follows the advice you have given me. When to prune and disease safety.

As you say, best to do the maple and crabapple when dormant. Apparently the pines can tolerate some pruning in the hot months, but even they are best pruned when dormant.

I'll wait for winter. Buurrrr.

Harry

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Yes, actually pretty much all trees - deciduous & evergreen - do best when pruned during the dormant/winter months. Little to no sap run & nearly zero chance of pests/disease invading the cuts. The only time we prune during spring/summer/fall is if we've had a storm & have broken branches that need removal.

There are a few shrubs that do best when pruned right after spring flowering - rhododendrons, azaleas, lilacs, & others - because they set the following year's blooms fairly soon after current flowering finishes. Thus if you wait to prune them in the fall/winter you'll be cutting off next spring's flowers.

harryhh
Cool Member

Thanks GardeningCook.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”