Skyemom
Newly Registered

Red maple has sprouted new leaf growth from ground up

My 5 year old Red Maple ( it's about 14 ft tall) was normal until this year But I realized I had never removed the paper sheath from around the bottom of the trunk when I purchased it at Lowes) I ripped the paper off about 2 weeks ago and Leaves started sprouting from out of the ground and growing upward. I now have extensive New leaf growth to about 5 ft up but starting where the older branches are there are buds but no leaves.

It looks weird. So I have this tree that is covered with new leaves that have crept UP the trunk but the top of the tree has buds but NO leaves...
Does anyone have a clue what might be happening here?

I'm in Central NY state and we had a very bad winter but it actually seemed to encourage most everything else to grow extremely well. I fertilized this tree in late fall & water it regularly .

Can I cut the top part off this tree and hope the thing continues growing UP?
Thanks

Jaiaceae
Newly Registered

These trees produces " suckers " which are growths that turn into potential leaders... I would suggest takng off all these suckers as they usually ruin the shape of the tree and draw energy into themselves. A picture would help to see the shape of your tree.

A maple should have a nice crown with a full canopy on top and not have multiple leaders just one or two

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”