joezapp

Transplanted trees lost most foliage, but still alive

Rose of Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Schipp new growth
Schipp new growth
Schipp
Schipp
Hi. Some trees that I transplant suffer a near death experience, turning brown and losing all foliage. I don't give up trying to bring them back, though, and I am often rewarded with a tree that comes back to life. The new growth, however, is at the very bottom. Attached are pics of a laurel schipp and a rose of sharon. I'm wondering if I must cut down to the live growth and let the trees start anew, or if with patience the rest will come back? It took 2 1/2 months to obtain this new growth. Any advice on how to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The dead branches are dead and you might as well get rid of them. The tree is coming back from the roots. I have a beautyberry bush and a crepe myrtle that did the same thing - died back almost entirely when we had a super fierce winter two years ago and then have been coming back from the roots.

joezapp

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, that's what happened in this case, too. Late autumn transplant and a very harsh winter. I had this also happen on a holly transplant in 2012 when I transplanted late spring before a brutally hot summer. What I did with the holly was I cut it down to the new growth and then buried everything but the best new branch with the new branch upright to start a new tree. It looks great today.

Should I proceed the same here with the Laurel Schipp? What do you suggest? I'm thinking it will be the only way to get a main stem. Thanks...

Jaiaceae
Newly Registered

Cut the shrub right back and keep the crown and surrounding roots well managed eg: don't over water / underwater. Keep soil aerated to allow air through to the roots. I wouldn't suggest feeding it until you see signs of growth. Lookout for tiny buds and shoots when warm weather arrives

Good luck

joezapp

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did that and I now have some shoots. Seems like it's ready to start a new life. I'll patiently watch it grow. Thanks!

olgareyna
Newly Registered

I have two 6ft oak trees growing together and are very healthy and beautiful, what happens if I just leave them alone?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”