CNeal20
Newly Registered

Please help identify this tree

Hi - My wife and I just got into a house and will be completely re-doing the landscape so glad I found this site.

We are looking for plants and trees we like and I found this tree in a local neighborhood. I have looked for hours online trying to figure out what it is and nothing seems to match. I've attached a few pictures of said tree. Can someone please help identify it? Thanks!
Total.JPG
Stem.JPG
Leaf.JPG
Bark.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi CNeil
Try BLACK LOCUST.
any good?

CNeal20
Newly Registered

Hi Jona,

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking Black Locust too but the leaves on the locust seem to be smoother than those on this tree.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

That's definitely not a Black Locust.

What it does resemble is a non-native invasive that resembles a Black Walnut & that has been taking over all over the country. The name escapes me at the moment, but I'll find it. I have several of these devils growing right next to my house that are destined for the chopping block this weekend. Awful things.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Pecan? Ash? Not sure about the leaf configuration, but the bark looks similar to pecan.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

GardeningCook wrote:That's definitely not a Black Locust.

What it does resemble is a non-native invasive that resembles a Black Walnut & that has been taking over all over the country. The name escapes me at the moment, but I'll find it. I have several of these devils growing right next to my house that are destined for the chopping block this weekend. Awful things.
Okay, I was wrong. While it definitely is still NOT a Black Locust (we have those everywhere around here & also grew up with them back in NY - leaf shape/size is COMPLETELY different), it also doesn't appear to be the invasive "Tree of Heaven" (aka Ailanthus altissima) either.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

wow, this is a tough one. Definitely not tree of heaven. Not black locust or honey locust, not black walnut, not any common pecan, but pecan hybridizes and has lots of varieties. Also not any common ash, but mountain ash and rowan tree have leaves with serrated edges that are somewhat similar, but I don't think it is them either. Not sumac. Not hickory. Not yellow wood.

I'm running out of trees with compound leaves!

If we don't get it, come back when it blooms and show us the flowers. Gets much easier to ID then.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”