Brad845
Newly Registered

Are these sassafras trees?

I haven't saw many trees like this before, they're very tall and skinny, I was wondering what they were in case I want to cut them or decide how long their life span is. (The trees with the knots? bulbs? not sure what you would call them properly.)
Attachments
20150510_174913-1.jpg

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Brad - welcome to the forum. My first impression is no. They are usually much fuller. It really is impossible to identify with out close up photos of the foliage. Sassafras foliage is unique. There is no one leaf shape. One tree will have a variety of different leaf shapes.

Sassafras grows wild around out fishing camp on Toledo Bend Reservoir on the Louisiana/Texas border.

I harvest the leaves to make Gumbo File. Dried and finely ground the leaves are used as a thickening and flavoring agent in Cajun Gumbo.

:-()

Brad845
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply Elizabeth (I'm in KY) I was posting mainly because they're so high getting a leaf would be impossible lol I thought maybe someone could identify them by the weird "bulges" maybe you could tell from the bark?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Sorry but without foliage photos they are just a bunch of trees. :cry:

tomc
Super Green Thumb

One thumb, two thumb, right thumb, none thumb.

Sassafras has either a right, left or multi thumb on its leaves. it is quite distinct with a closer examination.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I expect if you walked around the trees, there are some fallen leaves on the ground. If not, there will be later in the year, since they are deciduous. Post some leaf pictures.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Brad845 wrote:(The trees with the knots? bulbs? not sure what you would call them properly.)
You might want to google "Burr" or "Burl", a common defect in trees. If the burl is large enough, it can be coveted as a woodworking object.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I agree that your pic is too distant to really make any definitive I.d., but I would also venture to guess no, these are not Sassafras. As another poster stated, regardless of height, Sassafras are normally much fuller & multi-branched. In the absence of leaves, if you can manage to reach & snap/crush a fresh stem/branch, a Sassafras will reward you with its signature scent.

Here are a few links with Sassafras info & pics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras

https://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/sassafras.htm

https://tree-pictures.com/sassafras_tree_photos.html

catgrass
Green Thumb

Instead of trying to get a branch and smell a leaf-the smell is not real distinct until they start to die-try knicking a root. If it is sassafras, you'll get a distinct Root Beer smell. But, I agree with the others, from a distance does not look like sassafras

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

catgrass wrote:Instead of trying to get a branch and smell a leaf-the smell is not real distinct until they start to die-try knicking a root.

Not so. I have them growing all around our property & around my barn & a crushed fresh leaf - even when they're just leafing out like they are now - releases a strong delightful scent. In fact, I just had to remove a number of stray seedlings from around our deck this morning (birds LOVE the drupes & thus end up seeding Sassafras all over the place here) & the scent is everywhere now.

catgrass
Green Thumb

You must have a better nose than me. I grew up with them all around us-but I never got into smelling them until we were making file'.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”