mmorlino
Newly Registered

Clueless: Help me choose a Crepe Myrtle

Hi guys -

I'm 100% new to this forum and to anything plant related any general.

We are wanting to plant a driveway full of crepe myrtles, but I have no idea which one to plant.

Here's our criteria:

Must be tall - 15 - 20 feet
Would prefer it to grow moderately fast
Must prefer/tolerate highly alkaline soil

I've been trying to Google any answers, but I can't seem to find any.

Thanks!

Yours in Christ,
~Molly~
www.hcdoxies.com

mmorlino
Newly Registered

Okay - a little more research and it seems that the Natchez crepe myrtle might be the one...

I guess my next question would be how much should it be watered once they are planted? They will be 2-3 feet when they arrive.

Tey157
Cool Member

Once established you should'nt have to water them that much. I have some now in Cedar Park that I only water occasionally. Maybe a few times during the summer.

Tey157

mmorlino
Newly Registered

Tey157 wrote:Once established you should'nt have to water them that much. I have some now in Cedar Park that I only water occasionally. Maybe a few times during the summer.

Tey157
Thanks Tey157,

How old are yours? What I'm wondering, though, is how much I need to water them once planted. I know that I need to water them throrougly immediately after planting so as to settle the soil...

But one website (can't remember which one) recommends watering them once a week if you have not had any rain that week...

But how MUCH do I give them?

Tey157
Cool Member

mmorlino,

Yes, once you get them in the ground once a week should be fine to get them established. Mine are over 7 years old now. It's better to give a deep watering than shallow waterings. I would turn the water hose on very slowly almost a drip and place it next to the trees for 20-30 minutes. Just enough to soak the soil.

Tey

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”