millratbob
Newly Registered

Roses of Sharon not producing

Hello,
I have 4 rose of Sharons I planted last summer (2004) in July and this year I have nothing on them. No leaves or flowers or anything. I tried bending the twig to see if it snapped off figuring they were dead but they just bend a little so I figured they may still be alive. I live in Wisconsin which I believe is Zone 3 which I don't think makes a difference as I bought them in the area. As I said, there is absolutely nothing growing on the trees themselves, just stick sticking out of the ground. Does anyone think they may have an answer for this problem.
Thanks,
Bob

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

By no means am I a rose expert but I do consider myself to be a soil officianado.

I had some problems with several different plants last year and the year before. What I did was build wonderful, humus rich soil around them and this year... WOW!

Anyway, my solution to your problem is to do the following:

Take a bunch of leaves this fall (and any you can find now, that are brown) and run over them with your lawn mower. Spread them over the soil that is around your roses. Then put some manure (Horse, Chicken, or whatever) over the leaves. If you have access to a coffee shop, pick up a bunch of used coffee grounds (they are not acidic, all the acid goes into the coffee) and put them on their as well. Leave the "lasagna garden" until next spring and your roses should be all perky.

For now, you can go to your local nursery and buy some Kelp Meal fertilizer and spread that around the roots. It is a slow release fertilizer that is chalk a block full of micronutrients and macronutrients needed by plants. It is also slow release so, one application is all that you should need.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Rose of Sharon is actually a hibiscus (H. syriacus) and if you have not seen anything in the way of leaves, these are goners. Zone 3 may be a bit hard on these plants; Dirr lists them as Z 5-9. Might need to find a different plant for that spot...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Great advice Scott! I sure am glad that you are here, I would hate to see that person go through all the soil work for nothing.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”