Dan Q
Newly Registered

Japanese Maple Sapling wont grow

We cut down an old Japanese Maple a few years ago but regretted it. Recently we found one maple sapling that I wanted to grow and eventually plant to replace it. After uprooting it and replanting it in a pot it seemed to die but this was right before winter. Right now its spring and I know its alive since
1) Its too small to have bark yet so its trunk is green.
2) I gave it fresh soil at the beginning of the spring and its roots took hold in the fresh soil.
3) The trunk is somewhat flexible still
When we first uprooted it it had two leaves. It grew another two then dropped all 4, and now its still not growing any. It looks like it has buds but nothing for sure. Any tips?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Soil for trees is not built of peat or loess. it should look like a bag full of gravel with some bark mulch drug through it. Ideally it needs to go back to field.

Dan Q
Newly Registered

I attached a picture of the maple for reference to this post. The container its in is about half a foot in diameter. As I've said in case its hard to see, the trunk is green and flexible.

By gravel with mulch, could you elaborate? Preferably with a link to something I could buy online if you could find an example.
Attachments
1431467050542797115700.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

My mix for trees in pots:

1 part Gran-I-Grit *
1 part sifted bark mulch

A few as in teaspoon or less per gallon osmocoat pelleted fertilizer.

Big box stores offer bags of cactus mix which is very close.

No peat, no loess, no compost.

* Gran-I-Grit is sifted granite crumbles sold for poultry digestion. Use layer or turkey size. Offered at feed stores all over the east coast.

Blue Seal Feeds has a store finder if you are certain you cannot identify a feed store on your own.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But there's not much left of that one to do anything with. Personally if it hasn't put out some new growth very soon, I would pitch it and start over.

:(

Dan Q
Newly Registered

Yeah, I know. I just don't want to try and do it from seed since getting them to sprout is a pain, we found this sapling already growing.

I've decided to move it out of a dirt pot, right now its in a small clear container filled with water and exposed to partial sun. I'm hoping that its roots may begin really growing, since I've seen next to no growth at all.

Out of curiosity, would adding a bit of sugar to the plants water possibly help it grow? I read that too much can kill it but a small amount may help it grow

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”