DNH77
Newly Registered

Planting Boxwoods in Raised Beds

I need advice on planting boxwood shrubs in raised beds.

I'm in NH and I live in a colonial that had raised beds made out of pavers in the front of the home. I purchased some Green Velvet boxwoods to plant in the beds and need advice as to how to plant them. There is already soil there but my wife said it would be best to buy some bagged soil and mix it in. Do I plant the bushes flush with the top of the bed or sink them in a little? I had planned on using that black material on the roll over the soil to keep weeds from growing and then mulch a few inches over that. The mulch should be level with the top of the bed right? Also how far apart should I plant the bushes and does anyone ahve any reccomendations for different flowering shrubs that are low maintenance, deer resistant, full to 3/4 sun, good for southern NH and bloom in late spring through early summer that won't get more than three feet tall or wide.

atnini
Newly Registered

Yes, add soil, and get good soil. I've found that spending equally on plants and soil will give you the results you want. As for the weed block, it's sometimes more trouble than it's worth, and there will be gaps around your bushes so it will never truly block everything. When planting your shrubs you generally will want to plant them slightly above the soil level, then add your mulch. Whether you bring it up to the top or not is mostly an aesthetic call, but you also want to make sure when you water that it's not just rolling off the top and not having a chance to sink in. When putting in boxwoods you can plant either close together or spaced. It depends on whether you want a solid look or not. They're a hardy plant that can take a wide range of conditions. Hope this will get you started.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”